Our Top 10 Tips for Increasing Breast Milk Supply
Many moms struggle with breast milk supply. Don't get discouraged, it is so common! Make some adjustments to your lifestyle by following our tips for boosting your milk supply and be patient. Milk supply varies from woman to woman, from week to week, and even from hour to hour.
Our Top 10 Tips for Increasing Breast Milk Supply (in no particular order)
- Get adequate sleep
- Keep stress levels low
- Drink lots of water
- Make more time for skin to skin contact with baby on your breasts
- Latch baby to nipple correctly to allow proper milk flow (see Proper Breastfeeding Latch)
- Nurse baby and pump more frequently. Even if your breast feels empty, it will produce milk as your child nurses.
- Replace pacifier with your nipple
- Apply a warm compress to your breasts before feeding and pumping
- Massage breasts and nipples while feeding and pumping
- Eat foods rich in galactagogues such as lactation cookies
*if you are still struggling with breast milk supply, you may need the help of a lactation consultant. You can also contact a La Leche League leader for advice. In most cases, a few simple steps will fix the problem. However, if your baby is not gaining weight by the time he is 2 weeks old, keep his doctor informed. See our article on breast milk and baby weight gain.